.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Three new fillings, one long bike ride, and corn bread

So I went out to my dentist's office to pay for several years of dental neglect. No major hitches in getting three holes in my head plugged (pay no attention to those saying "do three more!"), but getting there was definitely about half the fun.

Smart cookie that I am, I decided to ride out to Delta, but didn't count on one hitch: highway 91 from the Alex Fraser bridge to the 72nd exit (maybe 1km at most) is "no bikes". D'oh! I proceeded on a longer-than-necessary detour (I got lost) that left me 25 minutes late for my appointment. Stupid.

The whole ride was quite pleasant except for the bridge work. There are many bike-friendly bridge crossings in the GVRD, but the Fraser and Queensborough bridges are not among them. The Fraser featured long stretches of exciting metal decking to ride on, plus a few points where obstacles narrowed the sidewalk (where you're supposed to ride) to a frightening degree. And then, you know, you can't use the 91, so you have to go all over the place to get to where you want to go.

The Queensborough has a somewhat exposed sidewalk to ride on, but adds in some pretty dicey detours of its own.

On the way back I fixed my previous problem by ignoring the signs and blithely riding down the shoulder of the 91. One concrete-barrier climb later, and I was fine, though the bike route detour from Delta to New West was weird and strange.

Had lots of fun being comfortably numb for a few hours (cracked up one co-worker by doing some help desk calls like that: "Hehp Dehk, Rahn speahkng.")

And then home to a delicious pork chop dinner. The new teeth worked!

Got into a strange frenzied mood that evening after watching the Canucks take care of the Avs: while I was washing the dishes, I baked up some cornbread. The recipe was on the bag of corn meal (corn flour?)

1 cup corn meal
1 cup wheat flour
4 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup softened butter

mix dry ingredients, then stir in the wet stuff. bake @425 for 20-25 minutes in a greased 8" pan. Serve hot with butter.

Good! makes a nice crumbly corn bread.

I've noticed that so far, despite my interest in politics, there isn't any in this blog. Good. I think that speaks of my healthy focus on the issues which I am most directly responsible for: the health of myself and my family. Not making too much of a mess of the house. The joy of good corn bread, shared with wife and in-laws (they liked it, which is a good sign).

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?