.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 28, 2004

Aw Crap...

Saturday's race really demonstrated that I'm not as fast as I think I am.

After keeping with the pack all day on the nearly-flat course, on a day when the pack was going nowhere (one semi-serious breakaway, and a routinely slow pace), the sprint happened and I went backwards. My placement in the pack was excellent, I was ready for the sprint prep, and then I started pushing the pedals in preparation for the finishing sprint and...nothing. I ended up about 15th in a pack where points were given to the top 10.

Maybe I wasn't patient enough and did too much work. Maybe the unselective course worked against me. Maybe it wasn't my day. I was so disgusted I rode the 200 metres past the line to my car, and with no more cool-down than that, went home. Sucks.

The pasta experiments Saturday evening were much more successful. Deep-fried apricot and fig ravioli? Yes indeedy! It's as simple as it sounds. Make your favourite pasta recipe (4 eggs, 500g flour), turn it into ravioli squares (more like wontons, really), stuff with a half a reconstituted fig or apricot, and deep fry in oil. Dust with icing sugar.

The regular raviolis were also fun. I made mozzarella, cheddar, feta-in-olive, and Italian sausage. The Lovely One was rather impressed.

Criterium Sunday morning. I'm in such a goofy mood I plan to take 15 minutes in the 45-minute race to warm up, then I'm launching suicide breakaways for the entire race. Then dinner with the families and the brother that's about to get married and the fiancee at Wild Rice. I'm ready for that.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?