.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 08, 2004

Props to our director of Non-Production for stepping in while Marketing was off not posting!

And, let them see cake:


This gloriously seventies-vintage recipe (it really did have the super-glazed look that shows up in these pictures) was a big hit. I won't give the recipe, as it was fairly fussy and it's easy to find some variation online.

I was going to use the Betty Crocker recipe, but that calls for "buttermilk baking mix," which is Bisquick, but I didn't know that when I went to the store. You can also make your own mix from a widely-available-online recipe, but it does require buttermilk flakes, another ingredient which we don't keep in the house.

Eventually I found a recipe in "1000 Classic Recipes" which called for no buttermilk (or shortening) but did require me to whip up a marginal meringue and make my own castor sugar (just a white sugar that's finer than table sugar but coarser than icing sugar).

The Lovely One whimsically expressed a desire for pineapple upside-down cake early in the weekend, immediately amending it to "maybe for my birthday". As if! Her birthday is in July, and having had the seed planted in my little head, I didn't want to wait that long to taste sweet, delicious cake. After threatening to make this thing all weekend over her protests, I finally did it Sunday evening, and she thanked me for it. I'm not sure how she'll feel when she realizes this recipe used up all the butter and most of the eggs in the house.

The Lovely One has very sentimental feelings for pineapple upside-down cake, though she didn't say so until after I made it: she first tasted it when she was 12, on vacation in Greece. I think they made it for her as a birthday cake. I don't think she's had it since we've been going out, though.

Baking's a bit of fun: I have the luxury of not cooking most days, so on the weekend it becomes fun. The result is typically waffles, pancakes, or popovers for breakfast, and some sort of wacky stunt-baking like upside-down cake if I hit the kitchen in the afternoon or evening. I might repeat muffin recipes every so often, but usually I like to try making something different.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?