.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Tafelmusik! 

Maybe the best baroque orchestra in the world, Tafelmusik, is coming to the Champagne Concert series this weekend, in Port Coquitlam. I'm touting this one because I sit on the board of this excellent organization.

If you have any love for baroque or classical music, this is the live-concert deal of the year. Tickets are $25, but only $12 for students.

So, right there you're paying about half what this same act will cost if you go see them on Friday in Vancouver. Second, the venue, Terry Fox Theatre, is wonderful. It's an intimate space of about 400 seats with superb acoustics. You'll love it, trust me. Did I mention free parking? You ain't getting that downtown.

But maybe the nicest tradition of the Champagne Concert series is the after-concert reception with the artists. Did I mention it's catered? Did I mention there's champagne, just as the name might suggest?

No, seriously. Even I, who sit in on most of the board meetings, do not know how we do it, except to say it's wonderful that we do. And when I say we, I give all of the credit to the rest of the board, who do the real work. I'm not going to name names here, for various reasons, but really, I hope the board is reading this, because I think every one of them has done an amazing job, and we're putting an amazing product out there.

My main duties this weekend will be arriving at the venue early enough to help move the harpsichord.

Tickets for the whole season are a super-cheap $99 for five concerts. The Tafelmusik concert is on the verge of selling out: call 604 518-6826 if you need tickets.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?