.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Burns Bog Burns 

When I look out from downtown New Westminster right now, the Fraser River is covered by haze. The Alex Fraser bridge, usually easily visible, has disappeared. There's an acrid campfire smell in the air, and I fool myself that there's a touch of peaty richness in the odor, too.

Last night you could detect the smell of the fire and the light cover of smoke even in Port Moody. In New Westminster, even inside a climate-controlled building, the smell is strong. I can taste it in my throat.

The current satellite picture at Environment Canada's site shows a "cloud" that covers most of Greater Vancouver, but doesn't show up on the weather radar. I'm pretty sure that's the smoke plume from the fire in Burns Bog. Here's the local coverage, though that link will likely expire soon.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?