.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hi Def and illness 

So here I am, home sick, trying mostly not to infect my co-workers. So I have a lot of time to watch TV.

You know which TV station rocks HDTV? Really does it right, with nearly full-day programming that I love watching? PBS.

Yep, that's right. Most of the "HD" feeds from the major networks, including CBC and the sports networks, are purely part-timers. I don't think TSN-HD shows anything in Hi Def except the occasional hockey game. Even their evening sports show isn't in HD.

Fox is very nearly as bad: a few prime-time shows in HD, and that's it.

You know what I'm watching on PBS right now? The Nova show on the Darpa Grand Challenge in glorious wide-o-vision. Aw yeah!

They even got John Lithgow to narrate.

Do you know how much it argues against interest for me, an instinctively libertarian hater of publicly-funded arts, to admit this? But I have to say it: PBS-HD is what I hope every "HD" service looks like in a year.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?